Monday, August 10, 2009

Insalata croccante di calamari su rustica di zucchini - Crunchy calamari salad on zucchini "rustica"





Ciao, two days ago I went to a fishmonger in front of Ciglane Market, close where we live.
We have been eating meat since we arrived here and we wanted something different.
They only had whole sea bass or calamari.
I didn't want to spend too much time in cleaning sea basses and cut fillets...so I bought one kg of fresh calamari.
I've never cleaned calamari before, but I thought it was easier than cleaning a seabass from scratch, and actually is! Check out this video.

Once I cleaned all the calamari, it took me around 40 mins, I started wondering how to cook them. I couldn't find any interesting recipes quickly online, so I decided to give a look around the kitchen. Here's what I found:

Ingredients
3 persons

  • Calamari 1Kg
  • 1 big potato
  • 2 medium white zucchini
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • Olive oil
  • 1 cup of flour
  • Salt
  • Rosemary
  • Basil
  • Chopped tomatoes or tomato puree

First, chop the potatoes in very tiny pieces, then cut the cleaned calamari in stripes.
Put some oil in a pan and start fry the potatoes with 2 cloves of garlic . Roll the calamari stripes in flour, put them in the pan with the potatoes and add some rosemary. Let them fry until they get golden and crispy. Salt them.
In the whiletime, chop the zucchini, put them in a different pan with some oil and the rest of the garlic. When they start to release some water add some fresh chopped tomatoes or 1 teaspoon of tomato puree melted in half glass of warm water.

When the zucchini are softer but still a bit crunchy, turn off the heat and cover with a lid.
After few minutes you can start preparing the dish.

Put the zucchini sauce in the middle of the plate and border it with some calamari stripes.
Then put the calamari stripes on top of the sauce. Use some fresh basil leaves to decor.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment